Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Perfect Running Conditions

I tend to think that people like to run in the perfect running conditions. At least I do.  I like it to be cool but not too cold.  I like a little wind for when I am hot and sweaty but I don't like running in the wind.  I like flat, but I need to train hills.. Ok, I want IMPOSSIBLE running conditions.

I would have settled for okay running conditions today, but I chose the wrong time to run. I guess it is safe to say that no one should choose 5 in the afternoon to run, especially when it is 86 degrees outside. When I went outside it was cloudy and windy. It seemed like a good time to go.  I got the kids in the stroller and headed out.  I hadn't been running long when the sun came out and the wind slowed down.  My sister-in-law called me which really helped that first mile.  Even so my time was slower because I was pushing the stroller.

Oh that stroller.  I do not enjoy pushing the jogging stroller when I run. It is heavy. I can't move my arms like I usually do.  I have to wear workout gloves to push the stroller or I get blisters on my hands.  Also, when you have a stroller it means you have kids to push along. Along the run I was constantly stopping for something or other.  One of my miles took me 15 minutes to run. When I run on my own I run around 10:45 a mile. So it slowed my time by 5 minutes!

I know it was hot for the kids too. And they were hungry. And bored. So that didn't help my running conditions any.  My legs are not as sore as they were last week, but they seemed really tired today. They didn't want to lift up very high.  Each step I took they screamed "nooooooo! I wanna go to bed! Leave me alone!!!!" At one point I thought maybe I should end the run early, but then I was like "no, you aren't a quitter anymore!" So I finished 4 miles in 56 miles. I am not happy with the time, but at least I completed the 4 miles.

We all have good and bad running days. This was definitely in the bad run category.  I guess I will just have to make sure I run first thing in the mornings. I will give the kids lots and lots of snacks and toys and maybe turn on the "mute" button on them and stop for no one. I'm sure it will go faster if I do that. Otherwise my long runs will be really long.

No comments:

Post a Comment